Saturday, August 27, 2011

Changes

I've long been an Anglophile...the English are an interesting people and their food and culture interest me greatly.  I visited London a few years ago (having long been a dream vacation) and was overwhelmed by their hospitality and courtesy.  At the time I was mostly a cigar guy and knowing some of the merchants came in handy.  But anyway...I digress.  Back to the point, or at least somewhere closer in the general vicinity. 

Change #1:  I've been a coffee drinker (or guzzler) for as long as I can remember.  Of late, I've been cutting back on coffee and drinking black tea (mostly English production).  I haven't encountered caffeine withdrawals and have been enjoying it equally as well as coffee.  I'm not giving up coffee, but the tea is winning out. 

Change #2:  I've been tinkering around with some of my pipes, opening draft holes, thorough cleaning, etc.  I've also been doing some restores (bought an older Grabow off eBay and had one given to me last Christmas) and learning a great deal.  I had a current production Kaywoodie Standard Billiard I had smoked once or twice and wasn't impressed (or disappointed).  About a week or so ago I cut the stinger (drinkless attachment) off just below the threads, filed it flat, and then lightly filed the interior of the remaining stub.  Fired it up today with Peretti's Royal Blend...cool, dry, flavor rich smoke...some pipes do respond better to certain tobaccos and this one was one of those...a fairly classic saddle bit billiard...with a rich English tobacco...near pipe nirvana. 

Which brings us to Change #3:  Royal Blend.  I've had this cellared for almost a year now and the change has been incredible.  At first it was a good tobacco, but the components had yet to "settle" together.  Today the Virginias were sweet, the Latakia smoky, and the Orientals were spicy and fragrant.  I've been away from Latakia/Orientals for the summer due to heat, buteven in the humid today it was a very good smoke.  Hopefully my employment condition changes soon and I can get more of Royal Blend to cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment