Saturday, August 27, 2011

Open call to pipe makers

I post this knowing that a) no one is really likely to ever read it and b) even if they read it the chances of having this call filled is very unlikely.

I post this more for US Domestic pipe makers as sending tobacco abroad can be a dodgy area.  My request: two pipes, one classic straight saddle-bit billiard, one classic straight saddle-bit bulldog, of a Group 3 size (smaller is better than larger), with cumberland stems.  The finish is to be smooth and fills are to be avoided (having played with briar I understand that sometimes big pits occur and there isn't a way to sand it out or carry on without a fill), but grain pattern here isn't my concern (I like grain and am always astounded by (nearly) flawless straight and flame grained pipes, as well as those that exhibit birdseye patterns that go throughout the pipe, but they are the exception, not the rule).  The non-negotiable: the engineering...I've been playing around with some pipes I own and through personal experience I tend to agree with Rick Newcombe's internal design (as far as draft hole, mortise, etc.).  The pipes have to meet those guidelines.  Finish color is a negotiable - needs to look good with the Cumberland stem. 

What I offer:  One sealed 8 oz. tin of GL Pease Bohemian Scandal and two sealed 50g tins of Murray's era Dunhill MM956 that are at least 5-6 years old delivered to you.  Current estimated value of the tins is close to $200. 

Any takers?  You can contact me at r e n o l e s a t y a h o o d o t c o m if you are a maker who is interested in this offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment