Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Breaking in a "new" old pipe

I posted pictures of the Dr. Grabow Commodore I recently refurbed...was finally able to venture outside for a smoke today (been a marsh fire burning a few miles away that has kept the neighborhood filled).  First smoke was H&H Beverwyck...also got to break in my new tamper (made from a pipe I had been given some time back).  I think I did a decent job on the pipe...I'd opened the draw up and it was noticeable from the outset.  I experienced no ghosting or bitterness and was surprised how neutral the new mud floor was in the bottom of the bowl (I expected some flavor something but got nada).  My smoking has a variable rhythm and even at a quick pace the bowl barely got warm.  It was nice to be outside again...being cooped up has been a bit much the last couple of days.  Good to see the sun and breathe air that didn't smell like burning leaves. 

I've also picked up a couple of other to be refurbed items and will post the work on those as they arrive and progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment